This post is not sponsored.
Hello all! Today I will be sharing what is in my work bag. I am currently working as an Adult Emergency Room Nurse at a Level 1 Trauma center. So, let’s see what is in my bag!
I use a backpack for work because it is very practical.I have no idea what make/model this bag is becuase I have had it since around the eighth grade – no joke. It washes very well in the washer on a gentle cycle and air dries well. SwissGear rocks! I strongly recommend this brand if you are a backpack person.
What’s in my bag?
- Water bottle: I take a reusable water bottle wherever I go no matter how short the errand. Sometimes during shifts I struggle to get my water intake in, but I make sure to keep it with me.
- Stethoscope: I can’t work without this! I use this to listen to heart sounds, lung sounds, and bowel sounds.
- Trauma Shears: I keep these in my bag just in case. Even throughout nursing school, this came in handy when needing to cut tough tape, IV bag packaging, etc. I do want to buy some Leatherman Raptors in the future!
- Badge: I usually keep this clipped ot the outside of my bag onto one of the arm straps. The only exception is when I throw my badge in my purse when running errands as I can receive many discounts for working at the hospital. I always make sure to clip my badge to/inside of my backpack.
- Pens/Pencils: I always make sure to carry a ton of black ballpoint pens. As much as I would love to carry my nice Pilot G2s, I know they would get either lost or stolen. So instead I settle for the cheap options. I’ve been testing out different Dollar Tree retractable ballpoints to try and find the most decent ones.
- Folders: These folders have somebasic information from orientation and just have never removed them. I do plan on transferring some of the information to a badge buddy soon.
- ECG Book: I never have referenced this book, but I have it just in case.
- Toiletry Pouch: This pouch is full of feminine products, wipes, toilet spray, mini deodorant, travel toothbrush and toothpaste, Advil, Vitamin C Drops… Twelve hours is a long time, might as well be prepared just in case!
- Gum: A really bad habit I adapted while working night shift in my old-role was chewing gum. I am tchnically not supposed to, but it helps so much with mask breath, so sometimes I might use a mint.
- Umbrella: I usually never need the umbrella, but I have it just in case.
- Change of Scrubs/Clothes: I also make sure to keep a change of scrubs and a plastic bag, just in case. Sometimes you may have that one odd patient that may pee on you on purpose. Yes that has happened before… I also keep a change of clothes so I can change out of my dirty scrubs before I get in my car to head home. At the time of this post, I now keep my change of scrubs and socks with plastic bags in my work locker.
That is what is in my work bag! Feel free to comment your work necessities. Thanks for reading!